Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Theory on Bengazi

A lightly defended consulate in flames, an ambassador and three security personnel dead, orders to security personnel to "stand down", pleas for assistance ignored, bogus claims of video outrage, shifting story lines: What to make of it?

The Obama administration is obviously hiding something, but what? The possible answers to that question have boiled down to either (a) disloyalty or (b) stupidity. And while we continue to see some accusations of disloyalty, I frankly doubt it. Sure Barack Obama is a duplicitous leftist who would like to fundamentally transform America, and he would like to ratchet back the U.S. military in a major way, but disloyal? I don't think so. In order to pull off something like that he would have to con a lot of people around him; people like Sec. of State Hillary Clinton, CIA Director David Petraeus, Sec. of Defense Leon Panetta and the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He might be a decent con-artist when it comes to people who are willing to believe, but he's not that good.

So at this point I'm leaning toward an explanation that boils down to stupidity. But it isn't the low-IQ kind of stupidity, it's this kind of stupidity:
I think that I’m a better speechwriter than my speechwriters. I know more about policies on any particular issue than my policy directors. And I’ll tell you right now that I’m gonna think I’m a better political director than my political director.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/81895_Page2.html