Monday, February 23, 2009

C. S. Lewis Parlor Games

C. S. Lewis remembered everything he read.
Sometimes in his rooms at Oxford, Lewis would play a parlor game, asking a visitor to pull any book out of his extensive library and read aloud a few lines. Lewis would then proceed to quote the rest of the poetry or prose verbatim for pages. For instance, Kenneth Tynan, who became a well-known English dramatist and critic, told of an encounter with Lewis during a tutorial at Oxford. Tynan said, "He had the most astonishing memory of any man I have ever known. In conversation I might have said to him, 'I read a marvelous medieval poem this morning and I particularly liked this line.' I would then quote the line. Lewis would usually go on to quote the rest of the page. It was astonishing.

"Once when I was invited to his rooms after dinner for a glass of beer, he played a game. He directed, 'Give me a number from one to forty.' I said 'Thirty.' He acknowledged, 'Right, go to the thirtieth shelf in my library.' Then he said, 'Give me another number from one to twenty.' I answered 'fourteen.' He continued, 'Right. Get the fourteenth book off the shelf. Now let's have a number from one to one hundred.' I said 'Forty-six.' 'Now turn to page forty-six. Pick a number from one to twenty-five for the line of the page.' I said, 'Six.' So, he would say, 'read me that line.' He could always identify it -- not only by identifying the book, but he was also usually able to quote the rest of the page. This is a gift. This is something you cannot learn. It was remarkable."
From C. S. Lewis's Case for Christ by Art Lindsley.
InterVarsity Press, ISBN 0-8308-3285-8